[USCC] reduction in compost weight

David Schellinger dschellinger at agcenter.lsu.edu
Fri Sep 16 08:59:55 CDT 2005

Discussion group,
I would like to clarify that my calculations used to generate the losses
expressed below were based on dry material weights.  Moisture levels may
vary considerably in fresh feedstocks and finished compost making use of
mass loss equations based on total weight problematic and less realistic.
For hauling and sales purposes, moist bulk densities and moisture contents
may be necessary, but for calculating mass reductions, dry wt./dry wt., may
be more appropriate than wet wt./wet wt. measurements.

Dave Schellinger
W. A. Callegari Environmental Center