[USCC] Brown Bear Aerator

Myron Hirschman compost@compostingcouncil.org
Fri Apr 18 13:41:02 2003

	From: Art Krenzel [mailto:phoenix98604@earthlink.net]=20
	Sent: Thursday, April 03, 2003 7:29 PM
	To: compost@compostingcouncil.org
	Subject: Re: [USCC] Brown Bear Aerator
=09
	Brent,
	=20
	I can assure you, from years of experience using a device similar to =
the Brown Bear, that you will pick up every string, plastic bag and =
piece of cloth in your compost pile before you make many passes.  On =
occasion and in frustration, I have had to clean the rotor by using an =
acetylene torch to remove straw bale twine that had been left in the =
pile.  Knives were not enough.
	=20
	There are entire Doctorate Thesis on the effects of small rotating =
shafts collecting or wrapping  long, flexible "thingies".
	=20
	If you have large pieces of plastic bags which have not broken down in =
your compost and you use a rotating turner, you will spend a significant =
amount of "quality time" cleaning your rotor .  Know that polypropylene =
twine is even worse.
	=20
	Art Krenzel, P.E.
	PHOENIX TECHNOLOGIES